The Lady Adams Building
113 & 115 K Street
The Lady Adams Building was built in June of 1852. It was named after the ship Lady Adams that brought goods and its first owners, two German merchants, around the Horn and up the river. They began their business in a tent, and later hired men to build a store, mostly out of the ship itself. It is the oldest building in Old Sacramento. The mast was later used as a “backing-up” place in the gutter for horses and wagons to back up to. The bricks used to build Lady Adams acted as ballast in the ship. The building's original owners were importers and wholesale merchants, and also bankers.
It was one of only four buildings that survived the fire in November of 1852, which swept through the downtown area. It survived because of its heavy brick roofing.
By the 1950's “Old” Sacramento was a teeming skid row, and the Lady Adams building was used as a brothel and a flophouse. Eventually, the building was unused and fell into disrepair. In August 1970, the heavy roof caved in, causing part of the building to collapse. Shortly afterward, however, the building was carefully restored as the city worked toward creating the Old Sacramento we know today.
The Lady Adams building is registered as California Historical Landmark No. 603.
The Shasta House, Formerly Howard House
109 & 111 K Street
It is unclear exactly when the Shasta House was built. Because its fašade is more ornate than its neighbor, the Lady Adams building, it would seem that it was built in the late 1800s. It was called the Howard House in its earlier days, and became the Shasta House in 1913.
The three-story building has most often been a lodging house of some kind, although it never was a hotel. The second floors of the Lady Adams building and the Shasta House (109-115 K Street) were combined in 1880, as part of the expansion of the wholesale grocery firm Mebius & Co.